WHAT IS MINDFULNESS?
Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present and also a way of paying attention to what is happening around us at the very moment. The opposite of forgetfulness is mindfulness. Its a way of concentrating and this is possible only by avoiding distractions. During studies, mindfulness is very expedient, the more you increase your power of mindfulness, the more you have the power to concentrate and the higher your level of understanding increases.
When you concentrate on an object, you get the best out of that object. Also, in mindfulness, concentrating on the present moment helps you get the best out of life and makes life stress-free. There is no such thing as half-concentration, which makes the practice of mindfulness requires 100% participation.
Mindfulness gives birth to joy and happiness, and happiness increases your level of concentration. When you are aware of something, such as a flower, and can maintain that awareness, it implies that you are concentrated on the flower. When your mindfulness becomes powerful, your concentration becomes powerful, and when you are fully concentrated, you have a chance to make a breakthrough, to achieve insight.
You can meditate on a person. You can meditate on yourself, or your anger, or your fear, or your joy, or your peace.
Much of the stress and pains is caused by the thinking of the past or the future, or judgement of the present moment. When we connect with the present moment, we become aware of everything that happens in our surroundings. Mindfulness trains us on how we can respond to situations, challenges, or stress in a healthier manner.
Mindfulness is distinguished into:
#1. Mindful practice (the process): This is a systematic way of attending in an open, curious, and discerning way intentionally, which involves both knowing the mind and shaping it to respond healthily to stress and to concentrate on the present lifestyle.
#2. Mindful awareness (the outcome): This is an abiding awareness that manifest as freedom of mind, freedom from reflexive conditions, which refreshes you and make you to react to stress in a healthy manner.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF MINDFULNESS
#1: Physical Health benefits of mindfulness
- Helps to relieve stress
- important in the treatment of heart diseases
- It lowers high blood pressure
- Prevents insomnia and help for sound sleep
- It helps to fix some gastrointestinal problems
#2: Psycho-social benefits of mindfulness
- It helps to alleviate depression
- It reduces couple’s conflicts
- It increases your sense of humor
- It treats anxiety disorder
- It helps to treats psychological effects of abuses, such as rape
- Builds your will-power
- helps to improve retentive memory
- Refreshes your mind and improves an easy way of life
- Reshapes your mind towards adapting to pains and stress
- It improves your concentration
#3: Environmental benefits of mindfulness
- Prevents harmful activities
- Improves concentration on what is happening in your environment
- it widens tentacles to knowing every living and non living things in your environment
#4: Financial benefits of mindfulness
- It makes you agile to embark on your daily business deals
- It improves your creativity to lead your competitors
- It improves your knowledge towards your daily expenses
- Improves your strength in taking business deals, decisions, and risks
HOW CAN MINDFULNESS BE PRACTICED?
- Mindfulness can practiced anywhere and anytime; but best practiced in a serene environment where you
are free of distractions and your concentration will be elevated
- It Involves focus on your immediate environment, awareness, meditation and relax breathing techniques
- It can be practiced in any position, either on standing position,
sitting in the office or driving alone in the car
Be mindful. Stay mindful. Enjoy all the health benefits of mindfulness.
ABOUT THE WRITER:
‘Lekan AYUBA is a certified Fitness Trainer/Self-defense Instructor. He is highly gifted in improving health through reduction of excess body fat by exercising and diet.
BBM pin: 52E7B55B
Contact Number: 08160464597 and 08175613785.