Many things — the good, the bad, and the ugly!
First, I would like to say that risk of getting a serious disease from kissing is indeed quite small. Good news, I guess! However, when the kiss gets “deeper”, (what is sometimes called “french kiss” or “open-mouth kiss”), where saliva is exchanged, the risk gets higher; and even higher when there is a wound or cut in the mouth, and when there are bleeding gums. Also, the body could fight some common infections (without you knowing!), but when your immunity (disease-fighting soldiers) is low, then serious infections are likely. Apart from these, things are not that bad!
Next, generally, air-borne diseases and those found in the saliva(and body fluids) could be transmitted. There are so many. Here are few things you could “catch”:
- Cold, flu, and sore-throat — with fever, runny nose, itchy throat, itchy eyes, pain during swallowing.
- Cold-sores (fever blisters).
- Gum diseases.
- Tuberculosis, meningitis, pneumonia, etc. (even though, other important conditions are needed)
- Hepatitis B, hepatitis A, hepatitis C, etc. (even though other means of transmission are more common)
- Gonorrhea, syphilis, and other similar STDs, (especially if partner practices oral sex).
- Lassa fever
- Rarely, HIV/AIDS. If, as we mentioned, there are cuts, wounds, sore, bleeding (and swollen) gums, etc. the risk slightly increases.
- the list goes on… .
Finally, those are the “bad” and the “ugly”! Now, the “good” things kissing can give! Let take just 5 out of the many benefits medical researches give us:
- It burns calories by doubling the metabolic rate! 3 passionate kisses each day (each lasting 20 seconds) can cause you to lose an entire pound!
- It lowers the level of a “stress-hormone” called cortisol, thereby relieving stress and promoting health!
- The endorphins produced during a heart-felt kiss are 75 times more potent than morphine (that powerful, addictive drug)! It helps depression.
- An active kiss uses over 30 facial muscles, thereby strengthening the muscles, (preventing baggy cheeks!), helping blood circulation, and making you look good!
- It gives the “right” amount of adrenaline, thereby stabilizing heart-activity, helping blood pressure control and reducing cholesterol!
- And, I could go on…!
NOTE: A concurrent guilt and shame will however affect these benefits.
Gotta go! XOXOXO (kisses and hugs)…